Friday, October 24, 2008

Do What Works...

I have been asking myself what's working...I have my left foot in an amazing world full of growth, new ideas, a growing healing arts business, a wonderful relationship, the changing leaves, and taking classes. I have my right foot in a world full of family illness, some chaos, friends and family losing their parents to illness and death. I walk with both feet interchanging experiences and wonder what's working? I realize first and foremost to take good care of myself; basic needs always provide comfort. Then I realize that I do not have to get caught up in what's going on around me. I can listen and then step back or up and just watch. Being a spectator has its advantages. I can only imagine if I listened to the economic newscast every night; I would have all my money under my mattress. I can give into fear and the place of scarcity or I can ask myself, what works for me, and walk forward in that stance.


I was recently reading Byron Katie and her words struck a cord: "Since the beginning of time, people have been trying to change the world so they can be happy. This hasn't ever worked, because the approach is backwards." She goes on to say, "But it's futile to try to change the projected images. Once we realize where the lint is, we can clear the lens itself. This is the end of suffering, and the beginning of a little joy in paradise."


I choose living over suffering. What offers you a little joy in paradise - do what works for you.

1 comment:

HawkWatcher said...

Thank you, Mary Anne, for that posting. I enjoy your new blog and look forward to reading more...the world, both my own and "the world" feels like it is spinning right now and it is comforting to have a place to share with someone who has insight on what this feels like.