Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Bored and Board

I have recently been inspired by my five year old nephew. While riding in a car, my nephew asked his parents to say words that sound the same, but are spelled differently. At five, he was asking for homophones! When was the last time you had a conversation about homophones?

At first, coming up with homophones became just another game to play with my nephew. I wanted to see if I could discover some that he had not thought about and could help him spell. Much to my surprise, his list was pretty long. Then my mind went to town and I started thinking of as many words as possible. This led me to the words bored and board. With great joy, my five year old nephew looked at me and said, “Wow, Aunt Mary Anne, that’s a good one.” There is nothing like getting affirmed by a five year old. I realized how this little boy is rarely bored and how easy it is for him to be amused by the simplest of games. We can sit for hours and do math, reading, or word games. Maybe life really is that simple. Maybe when I create my own Board of Directors, I would invite a five year old to be a part of it. Maybe it is time to shift our thinking away from everything going on outside of us and remember to see the little things. It is all perspective. My nephew looks for the new idea, for a new word, for a new game to play, and for new places to go. Everything is a new possibility. Maybe it is time to look through a new lens of awe and wonder. What new ideas are just waiting to burst out?

There is a sea of possibilities if we are willing to see life in a new way. Play with new words, ideas and, dreams. What word that sounds the same, but is spelled differently, resonates for you? Listen to yourself. You know exactly what you want, and if not, ask a five year old.

Special thanks and love to George who always makes me smile and who I love this, this, this much!

No comments: